Commuter Rail Transportation Projects: Tasks and responsibilities included vehicle design assessments, cost estimates, defining project scope, preparation of the technical specifications, design review, production meetings, design troubleshooting, and corrective action plans. Detailed analysis of design information included detail design, component interface, evaluating material applications, solving design-related problems, and ensuring good design practice.
- FDOT / SunRail - Provided procurement support, design review for new bi-level passenger coaches under an engineering support task order contract.
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) - Multiple projects: Prepared specifications for the mid-life overhaul of 75 bi-level passenger coaches; Railroad Operations engineering support task order contract; Prepared specifications, and performed design review, for new bi-level passenger coach procurement; Prepared procurement specifications for new "Gen-Set" low emission switcher locomotive.
- Amtrak – Acela – Wi-Fi Installation - Prepared design specifications, drawings, and installation documentation for the integration, and mechanical installation of T-Mobile Wi-Fi equipment on the Amtrak Acela high speed train for the North East Corridor. Supervised the installation of the prototype equipment on one trainset.
- New Jersey Transit (NJT) - Managed multiple Failure Analysis investigations for NJT Locomotive and Passenger coach failures including gearboxes, wheel bearings and wheel failures. Provided technical support and Contractor submittal document reviews for new Multi-Level passenger coach procurement. Reviewed Door System (FAI, Qualification, Functional Test), Reliability (LVPS, Brake, Communication), Vehicle Maintainability Analysis.
Light Rail / Heavy Rail Transportation Projects: Tasks and responsibilities included the base project definition and vehicle selection, cost estimates, refining project scope, preparation of the technical specifications, design review, production meetings, design troubleshooting, and corrective action plans. Detailed analysis of design information included detail design, component interface, evaluating material applications, solving design-related problems, and ensuring good design practice with respect to function, specification compliance, safety, manufacturability, and cost savings. Conducted maintenance practice evaluations including maintenance shop inspections and provided recommendations.
- MBTA New Rapid Transit Vehicle Procurement: Subway cars for use on the MBTA Red and Orange Line subway system. Tasks and responsibilities included assessments of vehicle configuration requirements, weight estimates, ADA compliance, preparation of the technical specifications, and related investigations.
- Triangle Transit Authority (TTA)/New Jersey Transit (NJT) - New vehicle specification development for the procurement of Diesel Multiple Unit Vehicles (DMUs); and co-procurement of DMUs between TTA and
- Niagara Frontier Transit Authority (NFTA) - Rehabilitation specification development for the NFTA Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs).
- London Underground Limited (LUL) - Rehabilitation design and manufacturing troubleshooting - Rehabilitation project of LUL subway vehicles, for the London District line ("D-Stock").
- San Francisco Municipal Railway (Muni) - New vehicle design and manufacturing troubleshooting for the Muni Trolley Bus Project, both for standard trolley bus and the articulated trolley bus designs.
- Maryland Rail Commuter (MARC) - Prepared alternatives analysis and recommendations for auxiliary head-end power supply (HEP), locomotive mid-life rehabilitation (Prime Mover), and layover power sources. Analysis included basic configuration, engine sizing and selection, and EPA considerations.
- Sacramento Regional Transit District (Sac RT) - Performed vehicle safety certification documentation for Sac RT's new CAF LRVs.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) - Served as the lead mechanical engineer for the new vehicle specification development of the BART expansion and San Jose extension vehicles. Reviewed the existing BART vehicles and system to establish the design requirements for the new vehicles. Supervised, inspected, and tested the installation of fare collection gates and fare vending machines for BART stations.
- San Francisco Municipal Railway (Muni) - Served as the project engineer for Muni's procurement of 151 Breda LRVs. Reviewed the design documentation, procedures, and submittals, including the retrofit designs and procedures for the first 77 Breda vehicles. Supported design and delivery issues for the remaining 74 vehicles.
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) - Provided technical support for the alternatives analysis, specification development, and negotiations for new low-floor LRVs that comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reviewed design documentation to ensure that the final vehicle met specifications, and provided support for the vehicle safety certification efforts.
- Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository - Preparation
of the mechanical specifications for the security escort car used
in the transport train for spent nuclear fuel from nuclear power stations.
The security escort car is an armored, fully self-contained unit with
redundant internal systems including power generation.
- Tinker Air Force Base - Prepared the mechanical
specifications, and participated in the commissioning of the 6 MW
standby power generation equipment for the B-1 software support building
at Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. The automated power generation
equipment is capable of powering the entire building either independently,
or in full synchronization with the utility power, for both open and
Vehicle Design and Manufacturing Projects: Managed the Vehicle Mechanical
Engineering Design Team in various capacities at Siemens Transportation Systems, Sacramento, CA. Responsibilities included
supervising detail design, evaluating materials; solving design-related
problems, and ensuring good design practice with respect to function,
as well as specification compliance, manufacturability, and weight and
cost savings. Design supervision also included electromechanical interface
and integration of vehicle subsystems, carbuilder / sub-system supplier
design optimization, design concepts for models and prototypes, and preparation
of internal design specifications. Responsibilities also included the
“Americanization” of German design, including modifications
of design for U.S. manufacturability including material substitutions
and manufacturing processes.
- Tren Urbano Heavy Rail Transit System (San Juan,
Puerto Rico) - Managed the Tren Urbano Vehicle Mechanical Engineering Design Team for a 64 vehicle turnkey project (design-build-operate-maintain).
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
(LACMTA) - Manufacture and delivery of 52 light rail vehicles (LRVs), managed
the Los Angeles Mechanical Engineering Design Team as lead engineer.
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
(LACMTA) - Worked with the customer in the initial stages of the project
on matters regarding detail interpretation of the specification with respect
to design concept, through preliminary design.
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit Development Board
(MTDB) - Manufacture and delivery of 52 light rail vehicles (LRVs), coordinated
customer specification with engineering design, prepared contract submittals
for customer approval, procured mechanical components for LRV assembly,
interpreted drawings and parts lists with sub-suppliers, and coordinated
parts delivery for final assembly.
- St. Louis Metro (formerly Bi-State Development Agency)
- For the manufacture and delivery of 31 vehicles, duties included procurement
of mechanical components for light rail vehicle (LRV) assembly; interpretation
of drawings and parts lists with sub-suppliers, including modifications
of German parts, drawings, and material specifications for U.S. manufacturability;
and coordination of parts delivery for final assembly.